I’ve heard that I can only buy earthquake coverage from California’s State-run earthquake program (California Earthquake Authority) if the Association has coverage. Is that true?

False. The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) offers coverage to individual unit owners regardless of whether the Association has purchased any amount of coverage or is currently without any coverage at all.